[SOLVED] Device advice/direction for complete rookie

Just stumbled upon Ubidots today and am very impressed! Mods, please move this if I posted in the wrong category.

As complete newbie to hardware (I am a database guy), when I Iook at the Ubidots compatible device list, I am completely baffled at where to start for my first “learning project”. If someone can point me in the right direction, I would very much appreciate it. Even if it’s only a phrase or two to google, or a link to a similar setup that would be fantastic. I’m just at the stage where I don’t even know the terminology yet.

What I want to build for my “learning project”:

• 5 random sensors, simultaneously posting to Ubidots for viewing on live dashboard
  • Wired, not wireless
  • Simple (I am a big fan of KISS, especially when learning)
  • Low-cost is a bonus, but not the major consideration

Future capabilities I’d like to add on to the learning project:

• Also posting to local database as a backup to Ubidots
  • Scalable to hundreds of sensors

Thanks for any input/direction and helping me pick my first device!

Ben, thanks for the note and glad you liked Ubidots. Here my thoughts:

• 5 random sensors, simultaneously posting to Ubidots for viewing on live dashboard
  • Wired, not wireless
  • Simple (I am a big fan of KISS, especially when learning)
  • Low-cost is a bonus, but not the major consideration

Options:

• Raspberry Pi: As a Linux computer, it is a good transition between the software and the hardware world. It has an ethernet port with DHCP enabled, so Internet access is plug-and-play. You can use our Python library with it.

• Arduino Ethernet Shield: Get an Arduino Uno or a variation of it, and then an Ethernet Shield. We have library for it as well. There are some bundled options (Arduino + Ethernet):

If wireless is an option, you can have a cheaper and wireless alternatives like the Particle Photon or the nodeMCU ($8). We have tutorials for both.

Future capabilities I’d like to add on to the learning project:

• Also posting to local database as a backup to Ubidots

You can create a script in your database server that polls Ubidots every x hours to get the latest values. Here our API reference to retrieve your data.

• Scalable to hundreds of sensors

Piece of cake if your connect them all to Ubidots :wink:

Thank you aguspg for the detailed reply!

Between the Pi and the Uno, which one can handle the most simultaneous sensors before I’d need to add another unit?

Thanks again.

Well, sorry forgot to mention that the downside of the Pi is it doesn’t have analog inputs…only digital. The Beaglebone has 7 analog inputs: https://beagleboard.org/green-wireless

A regular Arduino has 6, but less speed to setup the data frame and send it over a network.

Ah gotcha - thanks again!